Having problems with your 1997 Ford Expedition ?

Took my expedition to a tranmission repair shop for a leak. They they inform me I need a totally new exhaust system (cost over $800.00), but when I brought it in, the pipe connected to the muffler had rusted, and all I requested for them to do is to take a look at it (exhaust). It appeared that all it need was to be welded. HELP!!!!!

Posted / edited by AnonymousUser on : 26-02-2018

Answers :

You can remove just the rusted sections, Usually the exhaust system from the engine back to the converter,is what is called 409 Stainless Steel. It gets a little rusty but never needs to be replaced. On some vehicles, you can remove everything from the converter back,as you believed was bad. That would be a pipe,then the new muffler,then the new tailpipe. Those three are carbon steel and rust,not Stainless. I would go to a close by repair shop and not a big franchise or chain. There pitch men. Not that they don't do good work. The $800.00 is the Ford parts price for a whole new system,end to end,which you never need. Some cars are all welded,so that's for another day. Yours should be clamped on at the converter. Most of the time the vehicle owner does not understand the terminology used and the people explaining it, are so used to abuse, from the motoring public,that they fail to educate you,on any level. The mufflers is about $100.00,the pipes about $35.00 ea, $250.00 Total,with labor.
And to add to the above answer if they removied your exhuast system without any consult from you when you went in to have your transmission repaired then you have legal recourse in a civil court of law. If I took my car in to have the brakes changed and they put a new tranny in my car and billed me for it they would have my car back on the lift putting my old tranny out in a heartbeak, that is ridiculus and it is borderline fraudulent behavior in my opinion. If you have issue with this I would contact the Department Of Professional Regulation for your state and lodge a complaint along with a complaint at the State Attorney's Office and then sue them in small claims court, they deserve it if they did not aquire you authorization to do the work and they just expect you to pay.
Repair Help & Product Troubleshooting for 1997 Ford Expedition

Tips for a great answer:

- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.

Suggested Questions/Answers :

Loading ...

  • Start your question with What, Why, How, When, etc. and end with a "?"
  • Be clear and specific
  • Use proper spelling and grammar
all rights reserved to the respective owners || www.carrestorationshop.com || Terms of Use || Contact || Privacy Policy
Load time: 0.0057 seconds