Having problems with your 2001 Ford Taurus ?
How do u get the fuel pump on - 2001 Ford Taurus
1st you'll need to drop that gas tank from under your car. at gas cap there are 3 scrwes you will need to remove to disconnect the inlet hose @ return hose. after that you will have to remove gas tank holding straps[metal straps remove the 2 bolts that hold those straps up.[caution; the tanks weight depends on how much fuel is in it]after you drop down straps you will have to undo the plug in for fuel pump, disconnect the electrical plug in. then you'll need to disconnect the filler @ return hoses from tank. then you have to disconnect the fuel lines to engine from the tank. [special fuel line removal tool required] after tose are undone from tank, slide tank from under car. the pump casing[top of fuel pump casing] will have to be marked w/chalk or grease pen to assure pump @ fuel lines get installed same way they were disconnected.now to disconnect lock that holds pump into gas tank. w/straight screwdriver positioned on lockringn tap scrwedriver w/hammer to loosen @ turn lockring to unlock fuel pump. after lockring removed, gently remove fuel pump and sending unit attached to pump.install new pump and follow directions reversed to install [lines,electrical connections, do not attempt to start engine until gas is in tank.
Removal & Installation\015\012To Remove:
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section. \015\012
- Shift the vehicle into NEUTRAL and position it on a hoist. \015\012
- Release the fuel pressure. \015\012
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. \015\012
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap. \015\012
- Drain as much fuel from the tank as possible. \015\012
- Using suitable hose pinching pliers, clamp the fuel tank filler hose. \015\012\015\012\015\012\015\012\015\012\015\012Clamp the fuel tank filler hose in the location shown \015\012
- Disconnect the three quick connect couplings from the fuel tank tubes at the tank. \015\012
- Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector. \015\012
- Disconnect the fuel filter inlet tube from the filter. \015\012
- Position a suitable lifting device under the fuel tank. \015\012
- Remove the two fuel tank support strap bolts. \015\012
- Lower the fuel tank to access the fuel pump module while swinging the fuel tank support straps away from the tank. \015\012
- Clean the area around the fuel pump mounting flange. \015\012
- Disconnect the fuel pump module electrical connector and the fuel pump module fuel outlet tube. \015\012
- Using the special tool, turn the fuel pump module retaining ring counterclockwise and remove it. \015\012CAUTION
The fuel pump module must be handled carefully to avoid damage to the float arm, filter and convolute hoses.
- Turn the fuel pump module counterclockwise and the fuel pump module will release from the locking tabs. Remove the fuel pump module from the fuel tank.
- Install the fuel pump module in the fuel tank. \015\012
- Connect the fuel pump module electrical connector and the fuel pump module fuel outlet tube. \015\012
- Raise the tank into position and install the mounting strap bolts. Tighten the bolts to 26 ft-lbs (35 Nm). \015\012
- Connect the fuel lines and electrical connectors at the fuel tank. \015\012
- Lower the vehicle and refill the tank. \015\012
- Connect the negative battery cable. \015\012
- Turn the ignition key to the ON position to pressurize the fuel system. \015\012
- Visually inspect the fuel system for leaks.
Repair Help & Product Troubleshooting for 2001 Ford Taurus
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.