Having problems with your 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee ?
Right axel outer universal joint needs to be replaced? How do you replace it.
Removal & Installation\015\012
\015\012See Figure 1
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. \015\012
\015\012\015\012CAUTION\015\012Brake linings may contain asbestos. Asbestos is a known cancer-causing agent. When working on brakes, remember that the dust which accumulates on the brake parts and/or in the drum may contain asbestos. Always wear a protective face covering, such as a painter's mask, when working on the brakes. NEVER blow the dust from the brakes or drum! There are solvents made for the purpose of cleaning brake parts. Use them! \015\012
- Remove the wheels and brake assemblies. \015\012
\015\012Refer to Brakes for the proper procedures concerning brake removal.
- Remove the cotter pin, locknut and axle hub nut. \015\012 \015\012
- Remove the hub-to-knuckle attaching bolts. \015\012 \015\012
- Remove the hub and splash shield from the steering knuckle. \015\012 \015\012
- Remove the left axle shaft from the housing.
- If equipped with Command-Trac, disconnect the vacuum harness from the shift motor and remove the shift motor from the housing. \015\012
\015\012Remove the right axle shaft from the housing.
remove c clips from u joint remove caps install new u joint install clips
- Insert the left and right axle shafts into the axle tube. \015\012 \015\012
- To install the right axle shaft (with Command-Trac) first be sure that the shift collar is in position on the intermediate shaft and that the axle shaft is fully engaged in the intermediate shaft end. \015\012 \015\012
- If equipped with Command-Trac, install the shift motor, making sure that the fork engages with the collar. Tighten the bolts to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm). \015\012 \015\012
- On the left side, install the axle shaft in the housing. \015\012 \015\012
- Partially fill the hub cavity of the knuckle with chassis lube and install the hub and splash shield. \015\012 \015\012
- Tighten the hub bolts to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm). \015\012 \015\012
- Install the hub washer and nut. Tighten the nut to 175 ft. lbs. (237 Nm). Install the locknut. Install a new cotter pin. \015\012 \015\012
- Install the brake assemblies. \015\012 \015\012
- Lower the vehicle.
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.